To join the monthly newsletter mailing list click here.
Hiring Events Calendar
Click here to view a list of Hiring Events around the City.
Click here to view the December newsletter video.
The team at The City of Calgary Youth Employment Centre wishes you a happy holiday season. Thank you for your ongoing partnership and for assisting Calgary's youth with reaching their career and employment goals this year.
Some highlights from this past year include:
- YEC connected with over 22,000 youth to assist with their career and employment needs
- Over 800 new jobs were posted on the YEC job board
- Industry specific training (CSTS, Pro-Serve, First Aid and WHMIS) was completed by over 300 youth
- Three programs ran successfully this past year: Discovering Your Opportunities, Jump $tart, and Project Protégé
- 84 employers attended the annual Youth Hiring Fair, connecting with over 8,000 youth
- Over $27,000 was awarded to youth through the YEC scholarship and bursary fund
YEC looks forward to working with your organization in 2017! If you would like more information on partnership opportunities, please contact 403-268-2490.
Register Now - 19th Annual Youth Hiring Fair
Are you looking to hire local youth ages 15-24? Earlybird registration is now open for The City of Calgary Youth Employment Centre's 19th Annual Youth Hiring Fair!
The Youth Hiring Fair is an excellent opportunity for employers to connect with thousands of youth ages 15 - 24, who are looking for part-time, full-time and summer employment. The 2016 hiring fair brought out 84 employers and over 8,000 youth.
The fair will take place at the Big Four Building, Stampede Park Tuesday March 28th, 2017 from 1:30 - 6 p.m.
Client Success Story
My 17 year old client, Emma, came into YEC looking for assistance with finding her first job. She is currently attending high school and is in grade 12 and will be going into post-secondary at the University of Calgary next fall.
As YEC currently has a partnership with Starbucks and there are several locations near my client's home, I referred the client to the program. We created a targeted resume, the client applied online, and completed a phone interview with Starbucks. The client also completed a mock interview with the assistance of another staff member to prepare her for her actual in person interview with Starbucks. The client was hired on the spot by Starbucks and started working approximately 2 weeks later. She is really enjoying the new learning curve and fellow staff members at her new job.
YEC Employment Counsellor
Workshops at the Youth Employment Centre
The Youth Employment Centre (YEC) is offering free workshops to assist youth with employment readiness. The workshops will take place at 2nd floor, 315 10th Ave S.E. from 1 - 2 p.m.
- December 5th, 2016: Résumé Writing Workshop
- December 9th, 2016: Job Search Workshop
- December 12th, 2016: Interview Preparation Workshop
Please contact 403-268-2490 for more information.
Employer Spotlight - GardaWorld
The Youth Employment Centre is excited to partner with GardaWorld for the December Employer Spotlight. GardaWorld is a global leader in comprehensive security and risk management. It has been in business for over 21 years. The company is headquartered in Montreal with locations in North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Africa. GardaWorld has several locations across Calgary, working across multiple divisions such as Aviation Services, Protective Services, Cash Services & HR Services. Aviation Services has been in operation for over 12 years. Its Prairies Region is headquartered in Calgary, at the Calgary International Airport.
GardaWorld employs 62,000+ people across 28 countries. It is the largest provider of aviation services for the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA). Its Aviation Services has approximately 785 individuals working in the Calgary area alone. GardaWorld offers a range of opportunities for entry level candidates and experienced professionals. Currently, the company is hiring for full time and part time Pre-Board Screening Officers for the Calgary Airport.
Pre-Board Screening Officers are responsible for screening passengers, non-passengers and their baggage using screening equipment. They are expected to act as ambassadors for customer service and interact with passengers and stakeholders alike in a professional manner. They ensure that the screening of passengers is completed efficiently and pleasantly and they assist in maintaining the flow of passengers to influence efficiency. The Pre-Board Screening Officer role offers the opportunity to advance to supervisory, training and management roles plus the chance to explore other opportunities and locations within GardaWorld.
To apply, applicants must satisfy the following qualifications:
- Over 18 years old with a High School Diploma or equivalent (GED)
- One year of customer service experience
- Must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- No previous criminal background for which a pardon has not been granted
- Physical requirements include but are not limited to standing for long periods of time and lifting/pushing/pulling luggage and other heavy items (up to 22kg)
- Strong communication, excellent customer service and people skills
- Strong teamwork abilities and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize, remain calm and multi-task under pressure in a dynamic environment
- Fluency in English, spoken and written. Fluency in French is an asset
- Alert and detail oriented
Every application received is screened. Selected candidates are then invited to a testing event. Successful candidates then proceed to a more in depth interview. Following a successful interview, candidates are invited to apply for a Transportation Security Clearance and to complete other prerequisite documentation, such as a background check and medical. Transportation Security Clearance is required to start training. This clearance can take between 1 to 3 months to obtain so it is recommended that students apply 3 months before they seek employment. Uniform and all required equipment are provided for free. The salary range is $22.30 to $23.53 hourly. Training is paid at the rate of $19.97 per hour. Since the Calgary Airport operates 24/7, candidates are expected to be available to work and commute for day and night shifts, including weekends and statutory holidays. Staff discounts are available through Perkopolis where they gain access to a wide range of discounts and a yearly Goodlife membership.
If you are interested in working for GardaWorld, please feel free to visit www.garda.com/careers for more information on the diverse opportunities available.