Seeking A Raise
Asking for a raise can be a pleasant and rewarding experience -- $cha-ching$. On the other hand, it can be a blow-out all the way to unemployment. Unfortunately, because no bosses are alike, there is no guaranteed formula to successfully ask for, and get, a raise.
Asking for a raise is a fine art requiring careful, prior, thought. Before getting down to the nitty gritty of actually approaching the boss and asking for a raise give this three-part process -- Things to Consider, Preparing Your Plan, Taking Action -- some consideration and decide what's best for your situation.
- What is the employer's policy on raises?
- What are your reasons?
- How long have you worked there?
- How far are you willing to go?
- What compromises would you accept?
- Examine the company financially
- Prepare some arguments
- How have your contributions helped the company financially?
- Compare local salaries
- Make an appointment
- The Negotiations
- Be prepared for feedback about your performance